The Danger of Relying Solely on Instagram and WhatsApp for Business Promotion
In the age of social media, many businesses have turned to platforms like Instagram and WhatsApp to promote their products and services. While these platforms can be useful for reaching potential customers, relying only on them can pose significant risks. A diversified online presence is crucial for the long-term success of any business. This post discusses the dangers of depending only on Instagram and WhatsApp for promotion and outline the advantages of having a business website.
Dangers of Relying on Instagram and WhatsApp for Business Promotion
1. Limited control over content and presentation: Social media platforms like Instagram and WhatsApp are subject to frequent algorithm changes, which can affect the visibility of your content, overnight. Additionally, these platforms have limitations on post formats, restricting your ability to fully express your brand’s identity and communicate your message.
2. Reliance on third-party platforms: Using social media platforms for business promotion means entrusting them with your online presence. This puts your business at risk of account suspension or termination, which can be devastating for your brand’s reputation. Moreover, data privacy concerns arise when relying on third-party platforms, as they control how they collect, store and share your user data.
3. Potential audience limitations: Not everyone uses social media, and even those who do may not be active on Instagram or WhatsApp. By relying on these platforms to drive traffic to your business, you risk missing out on potential customers. Or risk losing those who prefer alternative online platforms or avoid social media altogether.
Advantages of Having a Business Website
1. Complete control over content and presentation: Owning a business website allows you to customise its design and branding. You have the freedom to choose the format and multimedia to showcase your products or services, without worrying about WhatsApp or Instagram’s own brand rules and guidelines. See my post on setting up a new WordPress website for more details.
2. Enhanced credibility and professionalism: A business website with a custom domain name and branded email addresses boosts your credibility and gives potential customers confidence in your professionalism. Additionally, a website allows you to showcase your portfolio, case studies, and customer testimonials, further establishing your expertise and reliability.
3. Search engine optimization (SEO): Probably the biggest reason for having your own website. By controlling your site, you stand to gain from the SEO benefit. A well-optimized website can significantly increase your visibility in search engine results. Targeting specific keywords and phrases related to your industry, you can attract more potential customers who search for your products or services.
4. Data ownership and control: Having your own website means you have full control over user data and analytics. This enables you to make informed decisions about your marketing strategy and tailor your content to your audience’s needs.
5. E-commerce capabilities: A business website allows you to sell products or services directly to customers through integrated e-commerce solutions. You can accept various payment methods and offer different shipping options, creating a seamless shopping experience for your customers.
6. Improved customer support and communication: A business website provides more channels for customers to reach you, such as live chat, contact forms, and email support. Additionally, you can host FAQs and knowledge base articles to address common customer inquiries, saving time for both you and your customers.
7. Accessibility and inclusivity: By ensuring your website complies with web accessibility guidelines, you can reach a broader audience, including those with disabilities. This not only promotes inclusivity but also expands your potential customer base.
Creating your own website is worth the effort
A business website is an essential asset in today’s digital landscape. While Instagram and WhatsApp can be useful tools for promotion, it is crucial to diversify your online presence and invest in a website that provides you with more control, credibility, and accessibility. By creating a professional, user-friendly website, you can enhance your brand’s online presence and better serve your customers, ensuring the long-term success. The effort of building your own website with your brand name and email all connected will stand you in good stead.